Thursday, September 11, 2014

The first 4 months of my new adventure in San Clemente EC



My new Cedula
My new Retiree Visa in my passport
 
I’ve been a pretty busy boy since I last posted.  I applied for, and received, my permanent Ecuador Retiree Visa, which is pasted into my U.S. passport, and my Cedula, which is the national ID card.  Now I can stay in the country for as long as I want to, or as long as they'll let me.  The process was pretty easy because I'd done all the necessary paperwork in the states before hand.  That included getting a copy of my birth certificate, a 5 year police background check, and a letter guaranteeing that I have an income of at least $800 a month.  They all needed to be certified (called an Apostille) by the Secretary of State office in the issuing state.  My friend David here in Ecuador had the documents translated into Spanish and he took me to the various offices to get them processed and accepted.  The entire process took about 5 weeks.  For the next 2 years beginning this past July I can't leave the country form more than 90 days a year.  After those 2 years I can leave for up to 6 months.  That was a big load off my shoulders! 


Jumping off the cliff in Crucita!!!
Besides trying to settle in to my new life in Ecuador since moving here in June July found me going with friends to the nearby seaside town of Crucita to tandem paraglide for the first, and definitely not the last, time.  So much fun! Each ride consisted of the wind pulling us off the 500 foot cliff and soaring above the Pacific for 20 minutes.  I love anything to do with flying.  Five of us went and 4 of us took to the air.  What made it really nice was the free beer after all of our flights were completed.


Crawfish Boil!!!
Next was a crawfish boil on July 26th put on at Casa Punta Bikini by chefs Jimmy and Dean, both Louisiana boys.  These were not your normal stateside crawfish but Australian Red Claw Crawfish which are HUGE!!!  Some of them were almost 10 inches long and look more like small lobsters.  Boiled in Cajun spices and served with corn on the cob and red potatoes.  I’m a big fan of mudbugs and these were DELICIOUS!!!  Note:  Not all of the shells in front of me were mine but I certainly ate my share!  I can’t wait for the next boil…
 
I also went on a whale watching boat tour for a couple of hours to see the Humpback Whales that follow the coast from June to September.  Sorry no pics because my batteries died just after we left shore.  Pictures don't do it justice anyway. You'll just have to come down and see it for yourself.  The boat held 12 of us and we got a couple spectacular shows.  One whale breached and others did tail and fluke slaps.  They are magnificent animals and we all had a great time watching them frolic right the San Clemente shoreline.

I had to book an unexpected 30 day trip back to the states for the entire month of August. My friend Sheila, who I met soon after I moved to Belize, has been suffering some very serious health issues the past few years and I’ve been awfully worried about her.  I actually lived with her for a couple of months when she retired and moved to Punta Gorda BZ.  She was only there a short time when her mom became very ill and she had to travel to Ohio to help her out.  Well Sheila got very sick soon after and really hasn’t had a good health day since and it’s been about 3 years.  She was scheduled a few months ago for surgery and I asked if I could come and help her out when she was released.  She agreed and I scheduled 3 weeks in Houston to help her get healthy and 10 days in Orlando to see my kids and friends.  Well nothing went as planned.  Sheila suffered additional severe problems and went back into the hospital almost immediately, where she remained until 3 weeks after I left her.  Needless to say it was a very stressful visit but I was so glad to be able to spend the time with her.  I hated leaving with her still in the hospital but I can only be out of Ecuador for a certain amount of time over the next 2 years so I have to be careful.  My stay in Orlando started out great but the last several days found me in the hospital too.  I was brought to the hospital by ambulance with chest pains. The 1st thing they discovered was that I had very low potassium, which they treated me for, but the testing also revealed 3 artery blockages as well.  I already have doctor appointments in December when I return to see what needs to be done.

I’ve now finished all of my major purchases for my home and can relax and settle into a normal daily life once my furniture is delivered next week.  I wanted a new bicycle to replace the one that I sold before I left Hopkins and wanted a few pieces of furniture to personalize my home.

On Wednesday 9/10 I met up with a friend, a local Ecuadorian lady named Karla, who I asked to help me do some major shopping, acting as my translator. Since I still speak exactly zip Spanish I wanted to make sure that I was making myself understood in the local shops so that I could get exactly what I wanted.  The night before I’d asked her to accompany me in my quest for rattan furniture and a new bicycle and she readily agreed. Let me back up a second. Karla is also my dentist, who I met when I needed a root canal, and just replaced the temporary crown that I’d swallowed.  She’s a very nice, fun, lady.   And I'll tell you what, if I'd had a dentist in the states as good looking as she is I'd have definitely gone more often!  Anyway…plans were made to meet in the bus station in Portoviejo where she lives and travel a few miles to the town of Montecristi, famous for their Panama hats, and where the rattan furniture is woven.  Since my 2 living areas are outside and open semi-open to the elements I wanted something that could take the humidity of a beach town and not be too easily affected if it got a bit of rain on it.  So rattan is the way to go.  I was in search of a couch, 2 chairs (I was looking for 2 but the package I selected came with 3 so 1 might go upstairs with the love seat), and a coffee table for the main floor and a love seat and coffee table for my private are upstairs.   First stop though was a sweetshop that I had visited on another trip where I knew I could get my 6 shot espresso (called expresso on their menu).  Hey what a way to start the day right?!  So we sat for a few minutes and enjoyed our drinks, Karla a Frappuccino and me the 6 shot, before all the walking we were about to do.  Soon though it was off to find the little factory stores where they weave the rattan furniture.  Karla asked for directions and we were pointed toward a street a few blocks away.  We basically shopped 2 stores, looking at shapes and colors and sizes.  Neither store was open to haggling much on the price but the in 2nd store I got the 2nd coffee table for almost free so they won my business.  Grand total of $870 plus $30 home delivery.  Now that may sound like a lot but this stuff is very sturdily built.  I chose the natural color without the high gloss finish because I like that better than the shiny stuff.  Plus the natural color is about the same shade as the windblown dust here in San Clemente so it won’t show the dust as much.  When asked how long to deliver we were told 7-8 days.  I was expecting 2 weeks or more so we’ll see.

After we finished Karla asked if I’d like to do a little sightseeing.  Me, I’m always up for that so she stopped a cab and gave him our destination which turned out to be the Mausoleo for Eloy Alfaro, Museum, and Artisanal Exhibitions & Marketplace way up the hill from us.  Quite a cool place!  Click on the link to read about what it offers.  We spent about an hour their touring the exhibits and the mausoleum before surrendering to hunger sated at a restaurant that my gringo friends all raved about.   La Trattoria de Gabriela did not disappoint!!!  I was impressed with their menu selection and had trouble settling on what I wanted.  I chose an antipasto for an appetizer for us of and for lunch Karla selected lasagna with chicken in a creamy sauce and I the penne pasta del mar, also in a cream sauce. I also ordered a ½ liter of sangria which we shared and she a lemonade.  Quite a delicious meal!  I know I’ll be back again to sample some of their other menu items.
 

My new bike "Karla"
After that we were back on the bus to Portoviejo to look for my bike.  I’d seen a few in the department stores but I was looking for one made of aluminum to withstand the slat air and that I could ride on the beach without it rusting out from under me.  So we went from bike store to bike store comparing prices.  The 3rd store had the best price of them all so that’s where my search ended.  It’s a 7 speed fully aluminum, including the spokes, job that fit me very well.  A bit pricey but then some things are more expensive here than in the states.  Anyway I’m happy with it.  I named it “Karla” as sort of a thank you to her for all her help.  I know I would have had a much harder time with everything if she wasn’t there.  

When we were eating lunch I talked of fishing in Belize and Karla mentioned that she’d like to go fishing with me so we’re going a week from this Thursday (on 9/18) here in SC.  It’s time to break out my rods anyway.  My friends Butch and Joyce want to go soon too.  Time to get back into the swing of things and learn the best placed to fish and the best time(s) of the day.
 

The "Copper Virgin" prominently displayed in the center of town
Last week was a big week in San Clemente.  They celebrated the patron saint of fisherman here, the Copper Madonna.  The celebration consisted of a 9 night novena, a street parade, lots of loud music until almost dawn, plenty of great food and drink, fireworks, and most importantly the adoration of the saint and blessing of the fisherman and their boats.  The streets were packed!  Friday, Saturday, and Sunday were the big days. Saturday 9/6 was the parading of the statue of the saint on the beach past all of the fishermen and their boats as well as through some of the street.  There was also a 2 day surfing competition down at Punta Bikini (the point that ends at the Pacific).  The surfers got some pretty good rides on some not so spectacular waves.  I don’t know who won it though.  All in all a great time was had by all.  Now the village is back to its usual quiet self again.

As a side note:  The original Panama hat is not made in Panama.  It’s made in Ecuador.  I’ve seen them being made in a couple small shops in Montecristi.   Here’s the real story

As always, practice peace!  This is the Fatboy signing off for now!!!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for keeping me posted Rich!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rich! How is the adventure in San Clemente going? Been a while since you posted. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rich,

    Long time. This is Missy Pitcher formerly Pigford. We worked together a long long time ago. Elaine gave me your contact. I'd love to catch up.

    ReplyDelete